Federal investment to create jobs and accelerate growth in key sectors of Northern Ontario’s economy
August 15, 2019 – Sturgeon Falls, ON – Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario – FedNor
Families, businesses and communities that depend on Northern Ontario’s agriculture, agri-food and equine industries will benefit from increased business, export opportunities and access to international markets, thanks to a Government of Canada investment of $564,075 in Economic Partners Sudbury East – West Nipissing Inc. The FedNor funding will help up to 60 businesses participate in the 19th annual Northern Ontario Agri-food Pavilion at the 2019 Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto, one of the largest agricultural fairs in the world.
The announcement was made today by Marc Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor.
The 7100-square-foot Northern Ontario Agri-Food Pavilion will help participating businesses showcase their products and services to the more than 300,000 people expected to visit the fair this year. The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair takes place from November 1 to 10, 2019, at Exhibition Place in Toronto.
“The Government of Canada is proud to invest in key sectors of Northern Ontario’s economy to spur innovation, create jobs and new opportunities for the people, businesses and communities in the region. This strategic investment will help increase the number of businesses accessing new markets and encourage businesses to scale up so they are better prepared to compete domestically and abroad.”
–The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor
“Nickel Belt-Greater Sudbury is known for its agriculture and farming history. I’m thrilled we are helping up to 60 Northern Ontario businesses increase sales and grow their operations by showcasing their products and services to consumers and investors from around the world. The funding will also help create meaningful jobs in the region, while generating countless opportunities for our agriculture, agri-food and equine industries.”
–Marc Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt
“We’re excited that our ongoing partnership with FedNor allows us to put our best foot forward and showcase Northern Ontario’s amazing agriculture, agri-food and equine industries to the world. The Royal is one of the largest events of its kind and we plan to leverage that to help businesses increase sales and expand their reach into southern Ontario and international markets.”
–Dan Richard, Board Chair, Economic Partners Sudbury East – West Nipissing Inc.
- Since 2016 and through successive budgets, the Government of Canada has earmarked an additional
$62 million for FedNor in support of various initiatives to enable the organization to further strengthen Northern Ontario’s economy and create even more middle-class jobs for Canadians.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor’s Regional Economic Growth through Innovation (REGI) program, which supports the growth of Canadian businesses, their expansion into new markets and their adoption of new technologies and processes.
- Economic Partners Sudbury East – West Nipissing is one of 24 Community Futures Development Corporations (CFDCs) funded by FedNor to serve Northern Ontario businesses and communities. CFDCs are community-based, not-for-profit organizations run by volunteer boards and staffed by experienced business and economic development professionals.
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: fednor.gc.ca
- Follow us on Twitter @FedNor.
- Follow Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada on Twitter: @ISED_CA
Nickel Belt MP, Marc Serré