Hello Nickel Belt Constituents!
As we dive into spring, MP Marc Serré has been busier than ever working hard for his constituents! March has been filled with so many great community events and funding announcements that have positively impacted the Nickel Belt region. Here’s a synopsis of what occurred in March:
Important news on the Hill:
- The 2019 Federal Budget was released on March 19th, 2019 https://budget.gc.ca/2019/docs/plan/toc-tdm-en.html
- MP Serré stood in the House of Commons to recognize Josée Seguin, a distinguished Special Olympic Athlete from Valley East who represented Canada at the World Special Olympic Games in Abu Dhabi winning 4 medals!
MP Serré was out and about participating in various events:
- MP Serré attended the PDAC conference, which is considered the premier International mine and mineral industry event which are strong economic drivers for Northern-Ontario
- MP Serré participated in events with the Hon. Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change including a tour of the Cliff Fielding Research, Innovation and Engineering building, a visit to a free tax clinic hosted by the North-Eastern United Way and a roundtable at Laurentian University with students to talk about climate change.
- Visited a community kitchen in West Nipissing and learned about their Food Rescue initiatives
- MP Serré participated in events with Jennifer O’Connell, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance (Youth Economic Opportunity), including a tour of Cambrian College’s innovative dental and millwright labs and a student roundtable to discuss the 2019 federal budget
- MP Serré participated in events with the Hon. Francois-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities including a roundtable in Markstay with stakeholders and municipal leaders from across municipalities in Nickel Belt and the announcement of 8.8$ million for the Junction Creek flood mitigation project and concluded with a tour of Collège Boréal
- Attended the Rotary Club of Sudbury for the Paul Harris recognition dinner honouring Felix Lope’s contributions in the community
- Attended the unveiling of the final Place des Arts design plans
- Toured the Capreol Senior’s Residential Complex and engaged with residents to find out their housing priorities and hear other concerns
MP Serré announced great initiatives and funding that will benefit Nickel Belt:
- Announced $ 19,891 on behalf of the Hon. Filomena Tassi, Minister of Seniors, to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 225 located in Sturgeon Falls for their Seniors Cooking for Seniors project.
- Announced $ 13,708$ on behalf of the honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services, Procurement and Accessibility to the Municipality of St.-Charles for their Accessible Website Project.
- Announced 9,835$ on behalf of the Hon. Filomena Tassi, Minister of Seniors to the Skead Seniors Club for their Interactive Website project
- Announced 4,650$ on behalf of the Hon. Filomena Tassi, Minister of Seniors, to the Wanup Quilters the purchase of embroidery and sewing equipment
- Announced 24,500$ on behalf of the Hon. Filomena Tassi, Minister of Seniors, to the Royal Canadian Lockerby ONT 564 Branch for their “Never Too Late to Dance” project
We encourage you to like and follow our MP Marc Serré on social media to find out more on all he’s doing for Nickel Belt and Greater Sudbury!