Marc Serré

Your member of parliament for


Nickel Belt

Marc Serré

Your member of parliament for


Nickel Belt

Menu

Marc Serré, MP for Nickel Belt Urges Council to Help Him Move the Maley Extension Forward

Marc Serré, MP for Nickel Belt Urges Council to Help Him Move the Maley Extension Forward

NICKEL BELT – Marc Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt is a strong proponent for the expansion of important infrastructure in Nickel Belt. As a member of the Standing Committee on Natural Resources, he understands efficient transportation routes are critical to future growth and development of the resource sector. His constituents have also been vocal on the matter, sending a clear message; the project is key to the social, economic and environmental future of Greater Sudbury and the time to make the east-west commuter and truck route a reality, is now.

“The community engaged in a healthy debate, concerns were voiced and addressed, and at the end of the day it’s clear; the time to bring the Maley Drive extension to fruition is upon us.” asserts Mr. Serré . “As a regional service center for the northeast, the City of Greater Sudbury must take action to rectify its substantial infrastructure deficit and ease congestion along LaSalle Boulevard and the Kingsway, not only with the goal of improving mobility for industry and reducing wear and tear on those roads but also to improve the safety of motorists and pedestrians.”

“There has been significant investment by the city into this infrastructure project since it was first identified as a priority for development in the early 90’s. The provincial government recognized the benefits of the plan and committed $26.7 million dollars or one third of the cost in May 2014,” notes Mr. Serré . “Over the years, city councils have been consistent in recognizing the importance of the project so the case for action is clear. With the approval and support of council, we can work to secure the Federal funding, establish concrete timelines and get the shovels in the ground.”

The city has set aside nearly $10.5 million dollars for the project. Once the city seeks approval from Greater Sudbury Council to commit $14.5 million to achieve the city’s one-third share of construction costs, Mr. Serré says he will be well positioned to advocate for a response from the Government of Canada regarding their commitment.

“At a time when the economy is struggling, this project will lead to the creation of approximately 1,400 jobs including 780 construction jobs during phase one, provide a wealth of economic opportunity for the Sudbury Airport and contribute an added $88.8 million to the city’s gross domestic product.” adds Mr. Serré. “This infrastructure investment is critical to Greater Sudbury’s growth and development.”

Key Points:

  • Critics say the $480 million infrastructure deficit must be addressed. Approximately 70 percent of the deficit represents renewal and replacement projects while the remaining 30 percent is new infrastructure to fuel growth. Maley Drive extension will assist in closing the 30 percent shortfall and has the potential to help address the other 70 percent through the reduction of wear and tear on the roads and the shifting of resources from the two east west corridors of LaSalle Blvd and the Kingsway. Rehabilitation is also part of the project including widening the LaSalle extension to College Boreal.
  • A new city trucking route will support various activities including Sudbury’s resource based/industrial export sector.
  • LaSalle Blvd and the Kingsway already way over capacity which is the primary reason the roads are in such bad shape. Heavy truck traffic increases annual maintenance and contributes to road congestions and increases greenhouse gases.
  • Maley Drive extension will divert up to 1,500 trucks and transports away from the Kingsway and LaSalle on a daily basis
  • More than 50 per cent of the ore mined in Ontario is trucked across Greater Sudbury on LaSalle Boulevard, Municipal Road 15 in Blezard Valley, Municipal Road 80 in Val Caron, Val Thérèse and Hanmer, and Municipal Road 84 to Capreol.

maley-drive-route