Government of Canada investment enables local sawmill to expand its operations and reach new markets
An important local employer will be undertaking a significant expansion and creating a number of well-paying jobs thanks to a Government of Canada investment of $ 775,000. This repayable FedNor contribution will enable Lahaie Lumber Ltd. to adopt new innovative technologies, create efficiencies and increase productivity.
Marc Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt, made the announcement today on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor.
Specifically, the investment will allow the company to purchase state-of-the-art equipment for a new sawmill currently under construction. With this expansion, Lahaie Lumber expects to double its current production capacity, enabling it to expand into new markets. Local and regional transportation and logging industries will also benefit from a higher volume of products produced and shipped from the mill.
“Our government is proud to support key sectors of the regional economy to accelerate growth and create high-quality, middle-class jobs for Canadians. Today’s investment will help Lahaie Lumber Ltd. build on a competitive advantage, access new markets and help diversify the regional economy.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor
“I am proud to be part of a government that recognizes the unique needs of Nickel Belt and all of Northern Ontario, and one that invests to support families, businesses and communities. Today’s announcement is helping to maximize growth opportunities and to enhance the region’s economic competitiveness while creating well-paying jobs.”
- Marc Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt
“We would like to thank the Government of Canada and FedNor for this investment. Our community and the region will certainly benefit from the growth of Lahaie Lumber Ltd. We are proud to be expanding our mill right here in Northern Ontario while helping to create well-paying jobs that support our local economy.”
- Mike Lahaie, Owner/President, Lahaie Lumber Ltd.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor’s Regional Economic Growth through Innovation (REGI) program, which supports the growth of Canadian businesses, their expansion into new markets and their adoption of new technologies and processes.
- Since 2016 and through successive budgets, the Government of Canada has earmarked an additional $62 million for FedNor in support of various initiatives to enable the organization to further strengthen Northern Ontario’s economy and create even more middle-class jobs for Canadians.
- The Prosperity and Growth Strategy for Northern Ontario outlines the Government of Canada’s approach to ensure the region can fully benefit from the national Innovation and Skills Plan. It is focused on three key economic development areas: supporting innovation; growing companies; and building stronger communities.
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: fednor.gc.ca.
- Follow us on Twitter: @FedNor.
- Follow Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada on Twitter: @ISED_CA
– 30 –
MP Nickel Belt, Marc Serré