Hello Nickel Belt!
As the winter months roll along, MP Marc Serré remains committed as ever to his constituents! February has been filled with community engagement and opportunities that benefit the Nickel Belt region.
Here’s a synopsis of what occurred in February:
Important news on the Hill:
- MP Serré was formally briefed of his new duties as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Rural Economic Development, the Honourable Bernadette Jordan
- MP Serré stood in the House of Commons to thank the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Ahmed Hussen, and the Prime Minister for listening to the businesses, organizations and Chambers of Commerce express their rural labour market concerns and therefore launching the Rural Immigration Pilot Project
- MP Serré stood in the House of Commons to deliver a statement in the house recognizing Dr. Kevin McCormick the founder of the “Crown and Canada Initiative” and “Project Honour and Preserve” as well as many other national and international projects
- MP Serré attended a gifting ceremony where Dr. Kevin McCormick along with Brigadier Nicholas Orr, the United Kingdom Defence and Military Adviser and Head of the British Defence Liaison Staff, for the British High Commission presented the Minister of National Defense, Honourable Minister Harjit S. Sajjan, with WW1 memorabilia
MP Serré was out and about participating in various events:
- Attended the Onaping FallsWinter Carnival
- Attended the Coniston Winter Fest 2019 Brunch event at the Colonial Inn
- Visited A1 Blasting Mats in Sturgeon Falls to discuss their priorities and businesses’ expansion
- Toured the Maley Drive infrastructure project with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, colleague MP Paul Lefebvre, and many other community partners
- Attended ParlAmerica’s Canadian Section meetings in Mexico to discuss with MP’s and Senators on cross promoting mining in both countries, climate change and promoting women’s equality
- Met with Joe Dipietro to discuss housing strategies in Nickel Belt
- Attended local meeting with various organizations and industry leaders to discuss expanding and promoting the Northern Ontario Mining Cluster
- Met Josée Seguin, a Val Caron local, who is representing Canada in Power Lifting at the 2019 International Paralympic Games happening March 2019
- And much more
MP Serré announced great initiatives and funding that will benefit Nickel Belt:
- Announced $150,000 on behalf of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism, the Hon. Pablo Rodriguez, for Science North through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund to retrofit and update the fourth floor of the Science Centre
- Announced $85,400 in funding through the Employment and Social Development Canada’s Enabling Accessibility Fund towards the installation of accessible seating in the Discovery Theatre at Science North
- MP Serré encourages Canadian families to take advantage of their benefit through the Climate Action Incentive when they file their taxes. https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/climate-change/pricing-pollution-how-it-will-work/ontario.html
We encourage you to like and follow our MP Marc Serré on social media to find out more on all he’s doing for Nickel Belt and Greater Sudbury!