NICKEL BELT/GREATER SUDBURY – Today, Marc Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt, issued the following statement after returning from the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada’s (PDAC) International Convention, Trade Show & Investors Exchange — one of the world’s leading mineral exploration conference and trade shows.
“I am proud of Canada’s mining industry and the role the sector has played in the growth of our economy by creating highly-skilled jobs, and driving technological and sustainable innovations, and the 2018 PDAC annual convention is a tremendous opportunity to meet with international policy makers, investors, and industry leaders to learn about how the mining industry is driving innovation and growing the global economy, “Serré began.
MP Serré’s PDAC 2018 Convention highlights and attractions include:
- The International Mines Ministers Summit brings Mines Ministers from around the world together in one important setting for the third year in a row.
- Meetings with Canada’s Trade Commissioners, who provide Canadian businesses with on-the-ground intelligence, qualified contacts, partnership opportunities and practical advice on foreign markets to help make better, more timely and cost-effective decisions in order to achieve business goals abroad.
- A roundtable meeting with Minister of Environment and Climate Change, The Honourable Catherine McKenna, and MP Kim Rudd, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Natural Resources, to listen to stakeholder views and participate in a discussion on the Government of Canada’s new approach to environmental assessments.
- A roundtable meeting with Minister of Natural Resources, The Honourable Jim Carr, with Indigenous leaders to discuss Indigenous perspectives on the exploration and mining industry to ensure that their interests are reflected in the upcoming Canada Minerals and Metals Plan, and other federal initiatives.
- The Northern Ontario Mining Showcase:
- The Pavilion features live demonstrations, training technology, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and interactive multiplayer role-based training, incident re-creation, and digital safety systems management are on display. The booth also features a speaker series focusing on topics related to new innovations and technologies. Examples include a new online social platform developed specifically for the industry and a presentation on heat generation in battery electric underground haultrucks.
“Our government has made a renewed and ongoing commitment to the mining industry—we understand the great value it has on a national level, and will continue to invest in initiatives that make the industry more innovative and sustainable. As the Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt, I have been eager to share the contributions that mining operations in the Sudbury Basin have had on innovation in the sector at the PDAC 2018 Annual Convention, and I look forward to taking what I have learned through roundtable discussions with stakeholders, industry leaders, and Indigenous community leaders, and working with Ministers Carr and McKenna to ensure that their feedback is reflected in the upcoming Canada Minerals and Metals Plan, as well as our ongoing commitment to combat climate change and make our industries more sustainable,” Serré concluded.
For more information on the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, please visit: http://www.pdac.ca/
For more information on the 2018 PDAC Annual Convention, please visit: http://www.pdac.ca/convention
For more information on the Canada Minerals and Metals Plan, please visit: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mining-materials/20240
Marc Serré MP Nickel Belt